You can find theft deterrent devices from $50 to over $1000, depending on your budget, where you park at night, and the type of motorcycle you own. Even though you may think you don’t have a “popular” motorcycle for thieves, even those kids looking for joy rides can take away your ride. Here are a few suggestions on how to keep your motorcycle from falling into the hands of thieves.
1. A motorcycle cover. Even if you have a garage for your motorcycle at night, when you take the bike out and park it in a parking lot or on the street, a thief may not want to take the time to see what’s underneath the cover. Just covering the bike can send that thief onto the next uncovered motorcycle. You can find covers for under $50.00.
2. A disc lock. You can find disc locks in a wide range of prices, if this is all you can afford; it is definitely better than nothing. Buying a brightly colored one can also be a visual deterrent.
3. A cable lock. Cable locks come in a variety of lengths and can be links or cables. You can even find alarmed cable locks that will sound off if someone other than you attempts to unlock or cut the cable.
4. A Motion Alarm. Just the sound alone can scare off a thief, but they also come with flashing led lights. Once again, just the visual can send that thief on his way.
5. Lojack. Lojack has created such advanced technology, that you can be sitting miles away from your motorcycle and you will know if your bike moves. This instant notification allows you to instantly notify the police department. Although a more costly purchase, it is a one- time payment with no monthly fees. They guarantee recovery within 24 hours and most insurance companies offer discounts if you have Lojack in stalled on your bike.
There are many anti-theft devices you can purchase for your motorcycle, head to your local dealer and check some out today.