Back in the day, if you’re going to take a peek into a cowboy’s saddlebags, you will surely find things that are considered “essential” before he jumps into his trusty steed – probably a rope, a coffee pot, and a number of tools.
Today, men of the great outdoors are riding ATVs and UTVs in order to go places, usually off the beaten path.
True enough, ATVs can be a lot of fun and are considered to be great tools. To make the most out of your ATV experiences, you need to have the right ATV accessories. For this post, we will highlight some of the most important accessories and gear that you can get to improve your ATV experience and ensure your safety.
TOP ATV ACCESSORIES YOU SHOULD GET
Serious ATV riders will want to get the following accessories:
- This basket style cargo carrier is constructed from extruded aluminum that is durable, compact and lightweight making it easy to install. Will not rust and easy to clean and maintain.
- Inner basket size: 48-1/4” x 21-1/4” x 2” ; Outer basket size: 49-1/4" x 22-1/4" x 3-1/4”
- Features a heavy duty steel under support frame with a 2" x 2" hitch shaft to fit Class III and IV hitch receivers.
- Raised side rails help keep cargo in place and provide tie-down options. Built-in reflectors with red colored corners to provide extra visibility and added safety
- Whether you are camping, going to a long road trip or simply transporting a load that you don't want inside your car, this basket-style rack will provide the instant cargo space you need.
From your tools to the beer cooler, there are plenty of things that you have to bring with you. However, as we all know the space in an ATV is rather limited.
For carrying extra items, you need to get a cargo carrier.
An ATV cargo carrier is basically a steel attachment that you install behind the vehicle. They are usually made with heavy-duty steel so they can support up to 300 lbs and are built for the long haul.
The Guide Gear ATV Cargo Carrier is one of my favorite carriers.
- Protection from the rain and the sun's harmful UV rays
- Elastic bottom fits the ATV snugly
- Storage bag included
- General dimensions: 133 x 46 in.
- 1-year limited warranty
If you are like, then your wife will also raise a stink whenever you keep the ATV in the garage. Sometimes, you just can’t win so you will have to park the ATV outside in the elements.
In this case, you need a reliable protection against the sun, rain, and snow – an ATV cover will do wonders for this purpose.
A good ATV cover will provide your ATV with protection from the rain and the sun's harmful UV rays. Basically, they can protect your vehicle from all types of weather. A good cover is also elastic so it covers the ATV completely and does not slip off.
The MadDog GearAll Weather Protection ATV Cover is a good option to consider.
- SUPER VISIBILITY: Perfect combination of flood and spot beam provide further irradiation distance and wider illumination range
- ANGLE ADJUSTABLE: The angle of the mounting bracket can be adjusted to about 45 degrees. You can install the item freely
- EFFICIENT COOLING: Specially designed die-cast aluminum alloy heat sinks provide superior cooling effect, extending its service life
- GOOD PERFORMANCE: With die-cast aluminum alloy housing, IP67 waterproof rate and steady mounting brackets, the light bar performs well
- PACKAGE INCLUDE: 1PC 162W LED light bar and mounting brackets
Most ATVs are equipped with stock headlights that help illuminate the road or trail ahead. However, many will agree that stock headlights just don’t cut it, especially when it’s really
So many riders opt to install LED light bars to pick up the slack that’s left by stock headlights.
The output of these LEDs are simply higher than their halogen counterparts but requires less power. This makes them ideal for vehicles with small alternators and batteries, like an
ATV. These lights often come in three focal points: Spot, Flood, and a combination of both.
The Nilight 25" 162W Led Light Bar is a pretty good starting point if you’re looking for a good light bar.
- CAPACITY OF 1,500-POUNDS: These ramps are ideal for transferring any four-wheeled vehicle to a truck trailer. Use a single ramp to transport a dirt bike or motorcycle and use both to load an ATV, 4-wheeler, or lawnmower onto a truck bed. Titan’s 7.5-foot aluminum ramps are both sturdy and versatile with their 1,500-pound capacity. Take your vehicles with you wherever you go with Titan’s load ramps!
- IDEAL ATV, DIRT BIKE, AND LAWN MOWER LOADING RAMPS: Whether you’re transporting an ATV a few miles or all the way across the country, Titan ramps will help get the job done. The arched ramp design allows for optimal clearance, ensuring a smooth lift every time. These ramps are ideal for any mid-size tires including ATV tires and 4-Wheeler tires. They also make great lawn mower loading ramps.
- SAFETY STRAPS INCLUDED: No need to purchase safety straps separately! These truck tailgate ramps include heavy duty load straps to keep the ramp firmly attached to the tailgate. This ensures safe transfer onto a truck without collapsing or buckling. Use them again and again to keep your 4x4 ATV, mini 4 wheeler, or lawn mower safe during transfer.
- A FOLDING ALUMINUM RAMP WITH STURDY CONSTRUCTION: Each component of these trailer ramps is designed with optimal function in mind. They fold for easy transportation and only weigh 33 lbs, making them easy to move and operate. Rubber tipped fingers provide extra security to your vehicle while also preventing damage to the tailgate.
- PORTABLE MUST-HAVE ATV AND 4-WHEELER ACCESSORIES: ATVs and 4-wheelers are great for navigating backcountry and dirt roads, but Titan truck bed ramps are a necessity if you need to take your vehicles farther from home. With its 1,500-pound capacity, it can easily handle even the heaviest of ATVs. No other loading ramp compares in quality, affordability, or portability.
Unless you have a yard trailer, loading an ATV into the back of your truck is a tiring ordeal. If you don’t have the right ATV accessories, you could easily kill your back.
For this purpose, you need to get yourself a set of loading ramps.
A good loading ramp will vary depending on the height of your trailer or truck bed. Most ramps can handle up to a thousand pounds so it should be able to withstand even the wettest ATV. You can also use the ramp to load various things like a lawnmower, motorcycle, and other small vehicles.
Check out the MotoAlliance 7.5 ft Aluminum Ramp Pair if you’re open to suggestions.
- Powerful – 2000-lb. rated line pull powered by a 1-horsepower (12-volt) DC motor
- Efficient – Line speed of 3.3 feet per minute with a full load, and 10.5 feet per minute with no load
- Convenient – Included mounting channel, remote control and roller fairlead create an easier than ever winching experience
- Hassle-Free –The roller fairlead creates a safe and smooth pull with the dependable 49-foot galvanized super-duty aircraft cable which is able to withstand abrasive terrain without fraying
- Reliable – Champion Support includes 2-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
While riding an off-road vehicle like an ATV, there’s always the possibility that you’ll get stuck in some place in the woods. Trust me, you will eventually get stuck.
Getting your ATV stuck becomes a trivial affair if you got a reliable winch.
Instead of going home to get your truck to help get your ATV unstuck, you can simply connect the winch cable to a tree and winch your ATV out of the mud. The winch is usually installed at the front, front bumper or behind the push bar. Just make sure your ATV has a
mounting plate. Definitely, don’t leave home without this one.
The Bravex Electric 12V 3500lb/1591kg Single Line Waterproof Winch is what I use.
- COMFORTABLE TO WEAR: easy to adjust, the nonslip strap fits any size of head, and the breathable and hypoallergenic foam adds exclusive comfort while you wear them
- TOP PERFORMANCE LENS: with high transparency, these shatterproof lenses enable to provide you with a better view, and they are well built to resist the fog and scratches
- UNBROKEN FRAME: this pair of motorcycle goggles features a bendable frame for you to easily store them, which is also very durable for a long term use
- VERSATILE TO USE: can be used for any outdoor activities (motorcycling, riding, climbing, shooting) or any workplaces where the goggles are required for protecting your eyes
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PRACTICAL: only weighing 115g, these compact goggles fit closely to your face and around your eyes to block out all the winds, keeping your eyes from water or dust
- This adult off road goggle combo is loaded with features!
- Certified to meet the DOT standard (FMVSS 218)
- Removable and washable liner
- This is the perfect choice for those looking for a high quality motocross, off-on road, or ATV helmet package at an affordable price
- SIZE CHART (Circumference of the largest part of your head, usually just above the eyebrows) in inches SMALL: 21 ½ to 22 - MEDIUM: 22 to 22 ½ - LARGE: 22 ½ to 23 - XL: 23 to 23 ½ - XXL: 23 ½ to 24.
Even if you are only using your ATV to lug gear or game back and forth from your hunting property, you still have to comply with state and federal laws when driving an ATV. In most states, you will need a helmet when operating a 2 or 3-wheel vehicle which, of course, includes the ATV.
So, make sure you get yourself a good pair of goggles and a helmet before heading out.
Apart from obeying the law, you need the goggles and helmet for your own safety. Driving an ATV is not far removed from dangers, especially if you’re out in the wild. A pair of goggles will keep your eyes covered and protected from the elements while the helmet
will keep head injuries at bay in case of an accident.
- STAY CHARGED: Provides a full charge to your machine’s battery before switching to float mode to maintain proper voltage levels for safe, long term storage without overcharging. Spark proof during lead connection, reverse polarity protected and includes a 12-foot output cord and 5-year warranty
- EASY TO USE: Low maintenance design to be quick and easy to use, our universal powersport vehicle charger and maintainer is compact and lightweight. Perfect for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) and safety timer-80 hours
- EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) to be ideal for use in long term storage. Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging
- MONITOR POWER LEVELS: Solid state two-color LED light indicates the state of the charge and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, ISM adaptive charging will resume full charger output power. Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our 12v battery charger and maintainer is spark-proof during lead connection and automatically detects reverse polarity to ensure a correct. Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes
I lost count of the times that my battery died while riding around the woods. If you ride the ATV on a regular basis, there is no doubt that you will eventually experience the same issue. It’s not a matter of “if” but “when.” And when it happens, the last thing you want is not having a spare battery charger.
Sure, you can pull start the vehicle but it’s going to involve a lot of idling or a long ride just to recharge. Why bother with that when there’s an easier option?
With a good ATV battery charger, all you need to do is hook up your dead battery with the battery charger and do something else that matter. Check out the Battery Tender Junior Battery Charger for a good ATV battery charger.
- Features off-set mounting to maximize rack space; Sold as a pair
- Durable and flexible rubber grips designed to carry light-weight items. (Up to 15lbs.); Rubber Securing straps
- Designed to fit trucks, SUVs, ATVs, UTVs, RVs, trailers, pretty much anything.
- Drilling required to mount on some composite racks; Sold as a pair; Mount to any tubular or square bar from 5/8"-1-1/4" in diameter OR to any flat drillable surface;
- Available in 4 styles: Single (21500), Double (21505), Window Suction Cup (21520) and Window/Wall Mount Adhesive (21525)
If you drive an ATV for utility purposes like hunting, then you are probably bringing your guns as your drive. If that’s the case, you don’t want to be driving around with a rifle or shotgun on your back or sliding over your cargo racks. There’s a good possibility that your firearm will get damaged or worse, misfire and cause serious injuries.
A good solution for this predicament is to get a gun rack for ATVs.
Basically, it’s a rack that will hold your gun in place, secured and safe as you drive. Most gun racks have rubber grips that don’t just secure your firearm but reduces vibrations as well.
For a good gun rack, check out the Kolpin Rhino Grip.
- Fits all ATV makes and models with a 7/8" handlebar
- Two (2) heated clamp-on grips and one (1) adhesive-backed silicone thumb warmer
- Dual-Zone Controller - select your thumb and grip heat levels separately
- Maximum 45 watts (20 per grip, 5 per thumb warmer) at 14 volts
- Kit includes everything needed for simple installation
Many hunting seasons last between September to January, but still depends on the type of hunting that you do. When you’re out there at 5am, the cold can be unbearable. Sure, you can wear gloves but it’s not going to be enough when there’s cold air rushing towards you. Hand warmers are a good stop-gap solution but they can get cold by the time you drive home.
A more permanent solution would be to install heated grips.
With a flip of a switch, your ATV grips will be heated and you can drive comfortably even when other parts of your body are freezing. The Heat Demon Dual Zone ATV Clamp-On Heated Grip Kit is a good product that I personally use.
- SUPERIOR STRENGTH: premium polyester webbing construction, performs stronger and provides a more consistent pulling force than polypropylene
- HEAVY DUTY: drop forged and heat treated solid metal hooks with safety buckles for extra secure towing and easy hook up
- WEATHER RESISTANT: high visibility yellow strap works in all climates, and will not stretch, shrink or mildew
- DURABILITY: classic woven pattern for added durability and protects the strap edges from abrasion and wear off to ensure longevity
- 10,000 LB MAX. CAPACITY: ideal for towing vehicles in roadside emergency – lighter, easier, and prevents damage compared to tow chains
As I’ve mentioned, at some point, you will eventually get stuck while riding. A tow strap will help you get out of this jam if you have another riding buddy or a 4WD vehicle. If you have a winch, this ATV accessory is not that essential but a tow strap is the cheaper alternative between the two.
Even if you have a winch, it’s still won’t hurt to have a tow strap because it’s useful for other tasks as well like dragging an elk or a deer. If you want a good tow strap, the Neiko 51005A Heavy Duty Tow Strap is not a bad choice.
BE SAFE OUT THERE
So that wraps up our guide for the essential ATV accessories that you should get.
As an avid ATV rider, these are things that I can’t live without. If you have any questions about ATV accessories, feel free to drop by the comments below.
Last update on 2021-03-03 at 19:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API